The particulars of its organisation, functions & duties
Functions and the duties of the Department of Consumer Affairs
- Internal Trade.
- Inter-state Trade: The Spirituous Preparations (Inter-state Trade and Commerce) Control Act, 1955 (39 of 1955).
- Control of Futures Trading: the Forward Contracts (Regulation) Act. 1952 (74 of 1952).
- The Essential Commodities Act, 1955 (10 of 1955) (Supply, Prices and Distribution of Essential Commodities not dealt with specifically by any other Ministry/Department).
- Prevention of Black Marketing and Maintenance of Supply of Essential Commodities Act, 1980(7 of 1980). Persons subjected to detention there under.
- Regulation of Packaged Commodities.
- Training in legal metrology.
- Emblems and Names (Prevention of Improper Use) Act, 1952 (12 of 1952).
- Standards of Weights and Measures. The Standards of Weights and Measures Act, 1976 (60 of 1976) and Standards of Weights and Measures (Enforcement) Act 1985.
- Implementation of Bureau of Indian Standards Act,2016.
- Consumer Cooperatives.
- All attached and subordinate offices or other organisations concerned with any of the subjects specified in this list including Forward Markets Commission, Mumbai.
- Monitoring of Prices and Availability of Essential Commodities.
- Consumer Protection Act, 1986 (68 of 1986).
- Operate Consumer Welfare Fund Rules, 1992 framed under the Central Excise and Salt Act, 1944.
- Commercial tests by National Test House in the six regional laboratories practically in all branches of science and technology except food, drugs, pharmaceutical and arms & ammunitions.