National Test House (NTH), a subordinate office under the administrative control of Department of Consumer Affairs, is a premier Scientific Institution of the Country, established way back in 1912 at Alipore in Kolkata, under the then Railway Board and since then it has grown into a laboratory of national importance in the field of testing, quality evaluation and ensure the quality of almost all sorts of industrial and consumer products except drugs, arms and ammunition by issuing test certificate in accordance with the national / international or customer standard and specification. It plays a pivotal role in the development of indigenous industries and serves as a vital link between industrial research and manufacture of finished products under rigid quality control. National Test House has its Headquarters at Kolkata and has a network of 6 regional offices at Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai, Ghaziabad, Jaipur and Guwahati.
NTH is involved in various activities as given below:
- Test and evaluation of materials, products, equipment's, modules, system and sub-system in practically all branches of Science & technology except pharmaceutical and arms & ammunitions in accordance with National Internal Standards.
- Calibration in the field of Electrical and non-electrical measurement against appropriate Reference Standards having traceability to National Standards.
- On-site testing and calibration at the premises of the customer.
- Test and Certification of Welders under the scheme of Central Authority for Testing and Certification of Welders.
- Assist industries in developing indigenous products for export promotion and import substitution besides their quality assurance programme.
- Assist BIS in formulation of National Standards.
- Assist industries and users organization with R & D work in Test Engineering.
- Assist National Accreditation Board for Testing & Calibration Laboratories [NABL] in accreditation of Testing & Calibration Laboratories in the country.
8 A. NTH has also been combined as a independent reference laboratory for arbitration of disputed samples with reference to quality compliance as per various standards.
- Provides Training to the Scientists, Technologists and Technicians of various industries, users organizations and professional Institutions in the following areas of technology:
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metrology and Calibration
- Rubber, plastic and Textile.
10. Provides consultancy to the industries specifically in the following areas :
- Setting up of Testing and Calibration Laboratories
- Import substitution
- Failure Analysis
- Quality upgradation
- Development of Test and Calibration Methods
- Strength, Serviceability & Durability for civil construction
- Grading of Radio-graphic Images.
NTH Division in the Department is responsible for action on following:
- NTH Policy matters.
- Matter relating to Executive Committee of NTH.
- Proposals on Five Year Plans and Annual Plans.
- Framing/revising of recruitment rules for all posts.
- Audit Paras related to NTH.
- All residuary establishment matters which are beyond the powers of DG, NTH.
- Creation of posts in NTH.
- Recruitment of DG (NTH),
- Recruitment / Promotion of officers.
- Release of funds for implementation of the Plan Scheme.