Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) is one of the two Departments under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution. It was constituted as a separate Department in June 1997 as it was considered necessary to have a separate Department to give a fillip to the nascent consumer movement in the country
The Department has been entrusted with the following work
- Internal Trade
- The Essential Commodities Act, 1955 (10 of 1955) (Supply, Prices and Distribution of Essential Commodities not dealt with specifically by any other Department).
- Prevention of Black Marketing and Maintenance of Supply of Essential Commodities Act, 1980(7 of 1980).
- Regulation of Packaged Commodities.
- Training in Legal Metrology.
- The Emblems and Names (Prevention of Improper Use) Act, 1952.
- Implementation of Standards of Weights and Measures - The Legal Metrology Act, 2009.
- Implementation of Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 1986.
- Laying down specifications, standards and codes and ensuring quality control of bio-fuels for end uses.
- Consumer Cooperatives
- Implementation of Consumer Protection Act, 1986.
- Monitoring of prices and availability of essential commodities.
- National Test House.
Last Updated on : 20/07/2016