Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution
New Delhi, the 24th November, 2000
GSR-892 (E). –In exercise of the powers conferred by section 83 read with section 22 of the Standards of Weights and Measures Act, 1976 (60 of 1976), the Central Government hereby makes the following rules further to amend the Standards of Weights and Measures (General) Rules, 1987, namely:-
1. (1) These rules may be called the Standards of Weights and Measures (General) Amendment Rules, 2000.
(2) They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette.
2. In the EIGHTH SCHEDULE to the Standards of Weights and Measures (General) Rules, 1987 under the sub-heading 'PART I-DISPENSING PUMPS', for serial number 6 relating to SEALING and STAMPING and the entries relating thereto, the following serial numbers and entries shall be substituted, namely:-
' 6. TOTALIZER
(a) The dispensing pump shall be equipped with a non-reversible totalizer to cumulatively register the quantity delivered through the device.
(b) The maximum permissible error for the totalizer shall be +0.5% of the volume dispensed at the time of verification. The quantity to be dispensed for verification or inspection of totalizer shall be 20 litre. At the time of inspection, the maximum permissible error applicable is –0.25% to 0.5%.
6.A SEALING AND STAMPING
(a) After adjustment for correct delivery lead-and-wire seals shall be applied in such manner that no further adjustment can be made, without mutilating the seal or seals . Plain wire shall not be used or lead-and-wire seal or seals. The stamp or seal of the verification authority shall be affixed on the lead-and-wire seal or seals by means of a plier or any other suitable device. The stamp of the verification authority shall also be marked on the name plate fixed on the dispensing pump. Provision shall be made for sealing a totalizer in such a manner that the quantity registered on the totalizer can not be altered.'
(b) A name plate to be fixed on the petrol pump for identification shall be of the shape and design shown below:-
The Standards of Weights and Measures (Enforcement) Act, 1985
NAME OF THE RETAILER & PUMP NO.
Capacity of Petrol D.pump Litre
**Columns for verification authority’s seal or stamp'.
Additional Secretary to the Govt. of India
Note:- The Principal rules were published in the Gazette of India vide number GSR 619(E) dated 1 July, 1987 and subsequently amended vide
1. GSR 354(E), dated 15.7.91
2. GSR 681(E) dated 20 July, 1992
3. GSR 27(E), dated 23.01.1997
4. GSR 629(E), dated 29.10.1997
5. GSR 323(E), dated 6 May, 1999