Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) is one of the two Departments under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution. It was constituted as a separate Department in June 1997 as it was considered necessary to have a separate Department to give a fillip to the nascent consumer in the country
The Department has been entrusted with the following work
· Internal Trade
· The Essential Commodities Act, 1955 (10 of 1955) (Supply, Prices and Distribution of Essential Commodities not dealt with specifically by any other Department).
· Prevention of Black Marketing and Maintenance of Supply of Essential Commodities Act, 1980(7 of 1980).
· Regulation of Packaged Commodities.
· Training in Legal Metrology.
· The Emblems and Names (Prevention of Improper Use) Act, 1952.
· Standards of Weights and Measures - The Legal Metrology Act, 2009.
· Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 1986.
· Laying down specifications, standards and codes and ensuring quality control of bio-fuels for end uses.
· Consumer Cooperatives
· Consumer Protection Act, 1986.
· Monitoring of prices and availability of essential commodities.
· National Test House.
Parliament Questions & Answers
Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund -All donations towards the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF) are notified for 100% deduction from taxable income under Section 80G of the Income Tax Act, 1961